Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thrift Store Find and a Re-arranged Doll Room

Hi everyone!  I just had to share my latest treasure I unearthed at the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  I was there this morning with my two youngest daughters and found this beautiful little wooden jewelry box that looks just like a miniature dresser.  It was in really nice shape and was only $10 (conveniently, I'd just sold something on Craigslist for $10 the day before!).  On the back, it has someone's name and then "Christmas 1970" in matching paint.  It looks like it was probably a handmade Christmas gift for someone in the 70's.  Isn't that cool?  The thing that made me laugh is that it shows how full circle popular colors have come.  You'd find something in these colors in a store today!  :)  Here's a pic:

Isn't it beautiful?  It's got the same painted flowers on the sides, too.  It's hard to tell with the awful lighting in my room, but it's a kind of sage green with gold trim and brown and tan flowers.


So, once I got my new little dresser home, I realized that I needed to majorly re-think my doll room to get it to fit.  After about an hour, this is what I came up with:

Okay, now for some close-ups, since this pretty much shows you nothing! ;)


Here's the dolls' closet/shelf combo, made from an old medicine cabinet (also from Salvation Army).


Here's the top, with a clock, pictures, Danielle's seashell collection, and some of Tess's figurines. 


This shelf has Ella's dolls...


...and the bottom shelf has the girls' books, Hailey's scrapbook and Hello Kitty things, Tess's tea tin, and a Curious George Altoids tin.


Next to the closet is the little plant stand I use for a table, with the girls' pics on top.  In the background you can see their mirror.


The girls always keep out their old toys so that when their little cousin Lucy comes to visit, she has something to play with besides all of Ella's nice dolls!


And here's the couch and chair with the new dresser in between.  To the right is the Squinkies Cupcake Surprize Bakery (my daughters and I use it every Friday and it's a convenient place to put it). :)

After I rearranged everything, all the dolls had to try it out.

Lucy, trying the vanity chair in its new spot.  She's been spending a lot of time with her cousins.  She feels lost on her shelf without her big sister (Katie) there.


Ella and Emily just chillin'.


Hailey and Danielle visit in the corner.

They seemed to approve of the changes.  ;)

Hope you enjoyed the post! :)

2 comments:

Amazonian Queen said...

Love your blog and posts! I just found you today, and at the bottom of this post I was pleasantly startled to read about the two last dolls - my daughter is adopted and is named Danielle, and her little half-sister (whom we visit every other month) is named Hailey, with the same spelling. ;-)

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

So glad you're enjoying the blog! What a fun coincidence with the names, too. :)

Danielle has now gone to live with one of my little nieces and has since been renamed "Hannah". :) Hailey is still with me, though, and remains a favorite. :)

Thanks for stopping by!