Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mother's Day Thrift Store Goodies :)

On Mother's Day, my aunt watched the girls in the afternoon and let my mom and I go kid-free shopping at Goodwill (thanks, Mimi!). :)  As you all know, my mom and I both love Goodwill, so it was the perfect mother/daughter outing. ;)  

I found a few fun treats that I thought I'd share with you.

First off, I found these two wonderfully illustrated books:  "Little Women" and "Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales".  Both books were just $2.49 each.

I already had a copy of "Little Women", but it was just an inexpensive paperback version.  What I loved about this one was the beautiful illustrations. :)

Jo and Professor Bhaer under the umbrella. :)

I already have 2 collections of Andersen's Fairy tales, but once again, the illustrations in this version were just beautiful.  And hey, in my opinion, you can never have too many fairy tale books. ;)

An illustration from "The Wild Swans".

I was especially thrilled to discover that this version included the stories "The Tinder Box" and "The Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep".  When I was young, I had a picture book of Andersen's Fairy Tales that included these stories and they were among my very favorites.  The last two Andersen collections I've found didn't have these stories in it.  I can't wait to sit down and read through the whole book. :)

For 99 cents, they had this unopened "vintage" (from around the 80s) package of Barbie cookware.  My mom thought that Belle might need some dishes, so she pointed it out to me. ;)

The set was quite cute and included everything here.

I think Belle approves of her new kitchenware. ;)

But my most exciting find of the day was this beautiful "Beauty and the Beast" ornament from Hallmark in 2008. :D  I remember really wanting this when it was released, but I couldn't justify spending the full price, and by the time the ornaments went on sale, it was out of stock.  I got this one for just $3.99. :)  The top is a little loose, so I probably won't hang it on the tree.  It sure looks great in my "Beauty and the Beast" curio, though! :)

The identifying marks on the bottom.

I was really impressed with the paint job on the faces.  Of course, it's Hallmark, so the high quality isn't really surprising. :)

Belle's face paint.  She doesn't look exactly like herself (as Oldest Gal, my purist, just pointed out to me), but at least she's painted well. ;)

The label on the front.  

I was pleased to discover that this was a wind-up musical ornament and that the wind-up mechanism still worked.  It plays "Beauty and the Beast" (surprise, surprise) and Belle and the Beast turn in a circle when the music is going.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.  I'll continue to plug away at my posts in draft over the next few months. :}  Lots more fun stuff to come!

4 comments:

Michele said...

Lucky you! I love thrift shops too. It is exciting to find a little treasure that was just meant for you:)

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

I agree! :)

Mr. & Mrs. Inamdar said...

Hi! May i ask what is the complete title or ISBN number of the Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tale book that you found? I had the same book when i was a kid and some cousins borrowed it and never returned. I believe it's the greatest book for kids and i wish i can still find a copy online.

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi Mr. & Mrs. Inamdar,

I can understand why you want to find this book again. It's a lovely collection of Andersen's stories.

The complete title is "Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales". The stories are retold by Vera Gissing with illustrations by Dagmar Berkova. It was published in 1979 by Cathay Books.

The ISBN number is: 0 904644 95 2

Hope this helps! :)