Those of you who read Tess and Maggie's blog or have enjoyed some of my earlier AG photo shoots will probably recognize the two Regency dresses I purchased from her, as modeled here by Hayden and Jenna in an earlier photo shoot:
I originally discovered Gloria's work on eBay, but these days she does the majority of her online transactions Etsy.com, where I recently rediscovered her at her Etsy shop, MarcotsGirlsDolls.
I thought it would be fun to give her a shout out here on the blog. She graciously agreed to answer a few interview questions and send a handmade dress for a giveaway. :)
1. Thanks for joining us on the blog today! :) Could you tell us how you got started with sewing doll clothing?
My two daughters and I started making and selling 18 inch doll clothing about fourteen years ago.
2. What is the first doll you can remember getting?
I remember way back when I was about ten years old, getting a 20 inch or taller doll that came with a hair dryer-the vintage type that you actually stuck your whole head into.
3. What is your favorite type of doll to sew for?
Eighteen inch dolls, followed closely by the 16 inch A Girl for All Time dolls. Until recently, I primarily created historical fashions. Now, you'll find both historical and contemporary outfits in my Etsy store.
4. What is your favorite era of period clothing to capture in doll form?
Colonial and Regency
5. How do you come up with ideas for your doll outfits?
I visit museum collections, both online and in person. I also get a lot of suggestions from my adult daughters and friends. Television and movies are also great for inspiration. But usually, I buy a fabric I like with a particular style and time period in mind. The trims and little changes that we do help to make a dress unique.
6. Do you have any advice for people who would like to start sewing clothes for their dolls?
My advice to anyone starting to sew doll clothes for the first time would be: start simple. Your expertise and knowledge will grow as you gain experience and confidence.
7. Where can we find you online?
You can find my shop at https://www.etsy.com/shop/MarcotsGirlsDolls. You can keep up with any news about additions to my shop or sales by liking my Facebook Page. On occasion, I still offer a few items via eBay under the seller name marcotsgirls.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us, Gloria. I always enjoy getting to know a little bit more about my favorite sellers. :)
As I mentioned earlier, Gloria very graciously sent me a doll dress for a giveaway here on the blog.
I decided I would open it so you can see what you'll be getting. :)
The giveaway prizes include an adorable 1950s era dress, a reversible matching coat, and a pair of doll-sized saddle shoes. The dress and coat were handmade by Gloria. The shoes were not, but were included as a fun accessory for the outfit.
Emma decided to be our model today. (Emma's glasses, hair ribbon, and Emma herself are not a part of the giveaway.) ;)
The dress from the back.
The bodice and skirt have pretty, bright red rickrack embellishments.
The back of the dress has Velcro closure.
I love the fun black and white criss-cross pattern of the material.
The saddle shoes are just adorable. They went on Emma's feet easily and look great with the black and red of her dress.
Here's a look at the sweet coat from the front...
...and the back.
The outer material is a fun red and white polka-dot pattern.
The material of the collar, cuffs, and inside of the jacket match the material of the dress:
The coat has snap closure at the neck.
Or, if you're feeling like a change, the coat is reversible.
Here's the collar, cuffs, and inside of the coat when it's reversed:
And the same snap closure at the neck.
I think I almost prefer it with the black and white material on the outside. But both ways are really cute. :)
This outfit looks so darling on Emma, especially with her dark hair. ;)
So, it's been a while since I've done a giveaway here on the blog. Here are a few guidelines:
1. This giveaway is for readers in the USA only. (Sorry to my international readers...I'll try to do another giveaway including all my readers at another time.)
2. If you're under eighteen years old, please get a parent or guardian's permission before entering. I'll have to get your mailing address, and I want to make sure that's acceptable to them.
3. To enter, please leave your name or username AND email address in a comment on this post. Your comments will not be published and will only be seen by me.
4. For extra entries, you may:
1) "Favorite" the MarcotsGirlsDolls Etsy Shop
2) Like the MarcotsGirlsDolls Facebook Page
If you do either of these, please leave a comment here and let me know so I can count your extra entries. :)
5. The giveaway will be open for entries until Saturday, July 2nd. On Sunday, July 3rd, I will chose a winner by random drawing and send them a confirmation email.
6. The winner will have one week to email me back with his or her mailing address. If I have not heard from the winner by Sunday, July 10th, a new winner will be selected.
Thanks so much for entering. Can't wait to see who wins! And thanks again to Gloria for participating in this post and providing our giveaway goodies. :)