Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Disney's Tangled

Hi everyone!  Sorry it's been so long since I've posted.  I'm still need to pay for more Picasa space, and my girls and I have been fighting awful colds since last week.  I'm feeling better, but I'm getting a little nervous about my brother's wedding on Saturday.  I'm supposed to sing, and I'm still really congested and coughing.  I'm popping vitamins like crazy and praying a lot, so hopefully things will clear up enough by then.  I really don't want to mess up their wedding music.   :( 

Just thought I'd do a quick post because I found this video on Youtube (click here) that has one of the songs from Disney's new movie, "Tangled", which is coming to theaters in just one week (yay!).  I have to admit, I have high hopes for this movie.  I was a little concerned for a while with all the changes they were making to make the movie appeal to boys as well as girls.  As soon as I saw the first real trailer, though, I started getting excited.  The animation looks AMAZING (which is a big must for me), and now hearing this song is very encouraging. 

Alan Menken did the music for "Tangled".  As most of you probably know, he composed the music for "The Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin", "Newsies", and "Enchanted", to name a few.  I grew up singing the songs composed by this man.  I don't know what it is about his music, but it is so beautiful and singable.   I wish I could write songs like his.  There's something about the music he writes that just makes me smile, and gives me "a thrill" (those of you who've read "Anne of Green Gables" will know what I'm talking about). :)  I'm sure part of it is nostalgic.  Whenever I hear one of his songs, I'm instantly back in grade school, out on the playground, singing my heart out while pretending to be my favorite Disney heroine.  I didn't fit in with a lot of the kids in my school...I wasn't athletic or that pretty.  The one thing I had was my singing voice.  The Disney movies from my childhood gave me something to excel at.  So thank you, Mr. Menken. :)

Okay, moving on! :)  The song is performed by Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi (from the TV series "Chuck", which I don't watch, but I've seen previews for), who also play the speaking voices for Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder.  Mandy Moore's never been my favorite singer, but I thought she did an excellent job on this song.  And wow, Zachary Levi's got a nice singing voice, too!  Not your typical sound for a Disney "prince", but I think his vocal style fits the character, and it's a pleasant voice to listen to.  I could see this song becoming the next big Alan Menken hit, like "Beauty and the Beast" and "A Whole New World". 

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think (those of you who care about Disney movies, that is). :)  Do you think this will be a successful Disney film, or a flop?  Are you excited about it, or could you care less?  Do you think you'll go see it when it comes out?

Have a great week, and keep checking back.  I'll be doing my posts about Emily's restringing soon.      

5 comments:

Elinor Dashwood/Melanie said...

Ohh! Alan Menken did the music for "Tangled"?? Super! Maybe I'll like the movie after all. "Part of Your World" and "That's How You Know" are probably the two most-sung songs in my repertoire. ;-)
I don't really like the looks of "Tangled" too much, in that I wish they kept a little closer to the original story, and some stuff just looks kind of... goofy. But I am willing to give it a try.

Claire said...

I can't wait to see "Tangled"! I'm seeing it opening day with my sisters and my cousin. I've been waiting to see this for so long, and I can't believe it's almost here!

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Elinor, I used to sing "Part of Your World" daily when the movie came out!! :) Unfortunately, I don't do as much with that song now with my daughters, since Daddy's a stickler for modesty, and swimming around in sea shells doesn't fit the requirements. ;} We also decided that we didn't want the girls displaying Ariel's attitude towards her father. I still love the songs from "The Little Mermaid", though. It was the first of many Disney faves for me. I LOVE "That's How You Know", too. :) I'll admit I had my doubts about "Tangled" at first, but I think it could be really good. Especially when you hear the song! "I See the Light" just fits with all of those other princess songs Mr. Menken wrote.

Lucky you, Claire! :) I'm hoping to go opening day with my Aunt, I just have to work things out with her work schedule and a babysitter for the kids.

AlexAndrea said...

For a male vocalist Zachary Levi's voice is rather soft around the edges and has a rather narrow range, but Mandy Moore is the edge on their duets. They're a lovely duo.

I'm adding Randy Newman to my profile (I was born and lived most of my life in New Orleans).

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi, AlexAndrea! Thanks for commenting! Zachary Levi's voice isn't the type I am normally drawn to. I usually prefer a stronger, fuller voice, but I found myself enjoying his singing in that song. Somehow it works with his character and that song. I mean, his voice is more fitting for an adventurous bandit than a beautiful tenor voice, don't you think? :) And they do have a beautiful blend, especially at the end.
I love Randy Newman's work on "The Princess and the Frog" and the Disney Pixar movies. :) I have to say Alan Menken's my all-time favorite, though. :)