Monday, December 3, 2012

Male Fashion Doll Comparison Post (Moxie Teenz, LIV, Disney Store, Ken)

I thought it would be interesting to compare the two male fashion dolls I've reviewed recently (Moxie Teenz Gavin and LIV Jake) alongside a Disney Store prince doll and a regular Ken.

Here's the whole group:  a 14.5" or so Moxie Teenz Gavin doll, a LIV Jake doll, a Disney Store Flynn Rider/Eugene Fitzherbert doll, and a Mattel Ken doll.

Here are some closer shots.  Gavin and Jake...

...Jake and Eugene...

...and Eugene and Ken.

I didn't take as many detailed pics in this post as I did with my female fashion doll comparison in my Moxie Teenz Arizona review.  (I also didn't feel like having more naked doll pics on here.)  So I'll just sum things up briefly.  

The Ken dolls I have are all of the typical Kens from earlier years with basic elbows and wrists (without articulation) and plastic legs that click at the knees rather than having a point of articulation.  At some point, I'd like to get one of the newer, fully articulated Ken dolls to do a fair comparison. :)  An interesting side note for those of you who are not aware of this already:  the current Ken dolls have slimmer bodies than their earlier, beefier counterparts, so many of the old Ken dolls do not fit into the current Ken fashions (much like the earlier Barbies with fuller chests and smaller hips do not fit into the newer Barbie fashions).

The current Disney Store prince dolls have heads that move from side to side but not up and down.  They have poseable shoulders and articulated elbows, but no articulation at the wrists.  Their legs are similar to older Ken legs, soft plastic that clicks at the knee instead of having a point of articulation there.  They also are too big for the current Ken fashions.

That leaves us with Moxie Teenz Gavin and LIV Jake.  Both dolls have heads that can move side to side as well as up and down (although Jake's head is more poseable).  They are articulated at the shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees, and ankles.  Jake also has a waist that swivels, and he has the same "knee cap" type articulation at his knees as the female LIV dolls. 

While both dolls are poseable, you can clearly see that Jake has much more flexibility and looks more natural in his poses than Gavin.  He also feels sturdier and of higher quality.  Not to mention that he can also share clothes with the current Ken dolls, unlike any of the other dolls in this post.

For that reason, Jake wins when it comes to articulation and poseability.  Spin Master just did an amazing job on these dolls.  I wish this articulation would be applied to other doll lines, too.

While Gavin is not as poseable as Jake, he still has plenty of poseability there and has more potential than the older Kens or the Disney Store dolls.

I hope you've enjoyed this plethora of reviews over the past two weeks.  This marks the end of my LIV and Moxie Teenz reviews.  What did you think?  Are you interested in these dolls now, or will you pass?  I'd love to hear from you in the comments. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I think it whould be interesant to compare the dolls witha a new fashionistas ken doll body.
An Ever After High male doll and the others are interesant to see next to. :D good post!

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Great idea! I don't have any of the Fashionista Kens yet, and I didn't have an EAH boy doll when I did this post. Maybe I can do something like that in a future post. :)