Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thoughts on the "Tangled" Blu-ray

Hi everyone!  So, I got the chance to watch "Tangled" and its special features last night.  I had so much fun! :)  Let me just say, aside from the great story and music that takes me back to the films I grew up on ("The Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin"...), this is an absolutely breathtaking film.  I love the beauty of the animation.  It's so fun to see all of the attention to detail, especially on the human characters.  The lighting, the scenery...everything blends together to make a perfect mix.  Since I'm familiar with the story, it was fun being able to focus on details this time around.

As far as special features go, I was a little bit disappointed.  I only watched the regular Blu-ray, so I don't know if there are more special features on the 3-D Blu-ray.  I won't know for a long time, as I don't have a 3-D compatible TV. 

The features they had were fun...I just was expecting more of them.  Maybe I'm too used to the "Diamond Edition" Blu-rays with loads of extra stuff.  There were a few deleted scenes, a couple of extended songs, lots of fun Tangled trailers (a lot of which I'd seen on Disney.go.com), and a really fun countdown of all 50 animated features from Disney.  That will be nice to have as a reference. :)  There was also a behind the scenes featurette hosted by Mandy Moore (the voice of Rapunzel) and Zachary Levi (the voice of Flynn/Eugene).  The featurette was fun and light (it looked like something that was probably made for the Disney channel), but didn't go into as much detail as I was hoping for. 

There also didn't seem to be any sort of pop-up menu on this Blu-ray like there has been for others.  Oh well, maybe I'm just too picky! :}  I'm sure there are at least a couple of Easter Eggs, since there usually are on Disney films.  I was hoping to check the Web today and see if anyone has discovered them yet.

So, I guess that's about it.  Overall, I'd give the Blu-ray a 4 out of 5 stars, just because I would have liked to see more Bonus Features.  I'd be interested to hear what all of you think, too. :)

P.S.  My dolls got to have a movie night and watch with me.  Tess did a post about it on her blog, and she'd love it if all of you checked it out.  For now, here's a pic of all of them enjoying the movie. :)



6 comments:

American Girl Dolls Rock!! said...

oh how cute! I love Tangled I so want to buy it! That is so cute how you brought your dolls!

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Thanks, American Girl Dolls Rock. :) I think they enjoyed themselves. ;)

Samantha Bartley said...

I got Tangled yesterday too! I got the Blue Ray, DVD combo pack. I don't have a blue ray player, but I watched the DVD, and I know what you mean about the details. I saw it in the Theater, so I did enjoy looking at all the paintings on her walls, that I didn't notice before. :)

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi Sammy! Thanks for commenting (and following Tess and Maggie's blog, too). :)

I love having a movie on DVD or Blu-ray, because you can catch so many more details when you can watch it in your own home. I love this movie!!! :)

Elinor Dashwood/Melanie said...

Got my DVD of "Tangled" on the 30th... I've watched it three times since then! :-D :-D :-D It was AMAZING!!!

(I love the picture, btw. "I'm not freaking out, are you freaking out? No, I'm just very interested in your hair and the magical qualities that it possesses, how long has it been doing that, exactly?" ;-) ;-) ;-) )

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi Elinor! I knew you would enjoy the movie! :) I'm glad you finally got to see it...you've been waiting a long time!

That's one of my (many) favorite parts, too. I seriously LOVE this movie!!! :D