Saturday, November 3, 2012

50 Questions Tag

I was semi-recently tagged by Elliebob of It's a Doll's World for a 50 Questions tag.  Sorry it took me so long to get to it, Elliebob, but here goes. ;)

1.  Are you young at heart, or an old soul?
   Well, considering that I'm 31, still have dolls on display in my room, and still geek out over Disney movies, I'd say young at heart. ;)

2.  What Christmas present do you remember the most?
    My engagement ring, Christmas Day of 2001. :)

3.  Name one physical feature that you like about yourself, and one you don't like.
    I like my eyes; they're a kind of a grey/green that change depending on what I wear.  I dislike my chin because it wants to be a slight double chin, even when I'm at my ideal weight. :}

4.  What holiday do you most look forward to?
   Definitely Christmas.  I love the music, the weather, the time spent with my family, and the reminder of Christ's arrival on earth as a baby.  Getting and giving presents is pretty fun, too. ;)

5.  How is the relationship between you and your parents?
   I have a very good relationship with my parents.  I call my mom almost every day, just to chat, even though we live 5 minutes away from each other.  My dad and I are really alike and can talk about anything.  I also have been blessed with a great mother and father-in-law, and I'm very close to them as well.

6.  You've got the TV on, but you're not really watching.  What channel is the TV on?
   I don't usually have the TV on in the background, especially when the girls are home.  Between some of the commercials and many of the programs, it's hard to monitor what comes on.  On the odd days when I do  turn the TV on in the background, I normally put in a Jane Austen movie, especially the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice.  It's great to fold laundry to, and there are no scary parts for my daughters. :)

7.  If you could pick anywhere to live the rest of your life, where would it be?
   Somewhere near the ocean, or somewhere that was lush and green with lots of flowers...although I'm very content in my hometown, too. :)

8.  Have you ever spent a night in the hospital?
    Yes.  The earliest time I can remember was when I was about 6 or 7 (correct me if I'm wrong, Mom!) and had a problem with my lungs.  I also stayed at least one night after the birth of each of my three daughters.  Most recently, I spent the night at the hospital when Middle Gal had her appendectomy last February.

9.  Do you enjoy being with only one or two friends, or with a large group of people?
   I prefer being with one or two really close friends, but I don't mind being in a large group of people as long as they're people that I know and love.

10.  Do you like the type of music your parents listen to?  Do your parents like the type of music you listen to?
    My parents and I share some tastes in music.  We like classical music and Big Bands music (especially Glenn Miller's).  We also enjoy some of the same Christian artists, such as Steve Green and Fernando Ortega.  My mom and I both enjoy soundtracks from musicals, like "Fiddler on the Roof" and "The Sound of Music".  And my dad was the one who insisted we should stop by the store after we saw "The Little Mermaid" in theaters for the first time (when I was 8 years old) so that we could buy the soundtrack. ;)  But there are some things I enjoy that they aren't necessarily interested in, like Bollywood soundtracks.  They're also not quite as partial to banjo music as Hubby and I are. ;)

11.  If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
    If nutrition wasn't an issue, it would be a toss up between cold cereal or pizza. ;)

12.  Do you believe in a god?
    I believe there is only one God, and yes, I believe in Him.

13.  What's you're favorite hashtag to track?
    Okay, this is really embarrassing, but I don't even know what a hashtag is! :{  Just looked it up and realized that it has to do with Twitter, which I don't do, so...um...none, I guess! :}

14.  When you were young, what would you dream you would be when you grew up?
    Well, how young is young?  When I was in Kindergarten, I wanted to be a shepherd. ;)  In elementary school, I wanted to be a missionary.  When I was in high school, I either wanted to be a missionary, a teacher, a writer, or an actress (the latter dream was a bit rosy and unrealistic).  I also knew from the time I was young that I wanted to be a wife and a mom.

15.  Do you want to have more friends than you have right now?
     I'm always open to the idea of meeting new people and making new friends, but I'm also happy with the group of close friends that I have. :)

16.  Have you ever met someone through the Internet, then met them in real life?
     Not that I can think of.  There are some of you I would love to meet someday, though! :D

17.  Tell me about the last book you read.
     One of the last books I read was "Tender Grace" by Jackina Stark.  This Christian fiction book takes the reader on a journey with the main character as she struggles to cope with the loss of her husband.  While the beginning is hard to read because it's so sad, it's encouraging to see the character's growth throughout the book.  A road trip and the things the main character experiences while on it parallels her spiritual growth as she rediscovers her love for her Savior. 

18.  Predict what your life will look like a year from now.
     Well, I know for a fact that I should have a bit more free time, because all 3 of my daughters will be in school.  I'm not that great at predicting things, but I'd love to have at least 1 rough draft on my books done by then and have a more organized house (I can dream, can't I?).  It would also be AMAZING if Hubby was driving at UPS by then, too. :)  He's been there for 6 1/2 years and is still part time.

19.  Early bird or night owl?
      Definitely night owl.  I loathe mornings.

20.  Where do you live?  Be as general or specific as you want.
      In California.

21.  What was the longest car ride you've ever taken?
      I rode across two states to attend a dear friend's wedding.

22.  What is your ethnic heritage?
      Caucasian.  I know I'm part Welsh and part German, and lots of other small percentages of other nationalities in there somewhere. ;)

23.  Do you want to live until you're 100?
      Nope.  Hubby's grandmother is going to be 101 in January, and watching some of the things she's gone through has definitely confirmed my decision.  I'd rather go home to Heaven than stick around until I'm not myself anymore.

24.  Do you practice what you preach?
      Not as often as I wish I did!  Nothing convicts you of that more than being a parent. :}

25.  Have you ever laughed uncontrollably when it was socially inappropriate?
      Numerous times.  The one that comes to mind at the moment was in high school chemistry class.  My best friend and I got an uncontrollable case of the giggles over the periodic table.  Something about "Ethyl something-or-other" (I retained so much from that class, can't you tell?).  We were picturing this little old grandma lady and for some reason, it struck a funny bone.  Oh, and also in high school, that same friend and I got the giggles in Study Hall when we were imagining her horse in a tuxedo.  That time, I got sent out of the room.  Yes, we were easily amused. ;)

26.  Do you often skip breakfast?
     Never.  Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I also have to make sure I get enough protein throughout the day or I pass out. :}

27.  Would you want to know the exact date and time you were going to die?
     Nope.  While I am looking forward to Heaven, I'm not looking forward to death itself.  I know I would forget everything else and obsess and worry about that particular day.

28.  Describe your neighborhood.
     It's a pretty typical street with 2-3 bedroom houses and small to good-sized yards.  All of our surrounding neighbors are really nice.

29.  Name a TV series you didn't enjoy until after it ended.
     I can't really think of one.  Most TV series I enjoy are ones that are still current or that I found in a later season but were still current.

30.  Have you ever bought a product from an informercial?
    No, but I've been tempted!!

31.  What is one thing you could never forgive?
     I would have a tough time forgiving if someone seriously hurt someone I loved, either physically or emotionally.  However, my prayer would be that in time and by God's grace, I would be able to forgive no matter what the offense.

32.  What part of the past year sticks out in your mind?  
      My trips and times spent with family.  Our coastal vacation, Hubby's niece's wedding and the time spent with all of Hubby's family, my trip with the girls and our friends to LA, and my weekend getaway with my mom and aunt. :)  

33.  What is your favorite sport?
     Any sport I don't have to take part in.  I'm not super skilled in the athletic department. ;)

34.  What has been troubling you lately?
     My lack of discipline in pretty much all areas of my life (food, cleaning, computer time, devotions, organization, parenting, exercise...you name it!).  I'd really like to, by God's grace and through His strength, at least begin to conquer this issue.  

35.  Who was your first crush?
     A little boy whose parents were missionaries to Scotland.  They came and stayed with our family for a weekend when I was in 1st grade.  He and I were the same age and became pen pals (we ended up writing each other through the rest of our school years).  I was certain that I was going to marry him someday, but God had other plans. :)

36.  Where is your favorite place to go out and eat?
     Red Lobster.  Hubby and I always go there for special occasions.

37.  Give me an unpopular opinion you have.
     I pretty much despise Twilight, and I'm not a fan of Harry Potter either.  I can just hear the cries of anger and disbelief now...sorry to all you fans out there. :}

38.  Describe a person that inspires you.
     There are several older women in my church that really inspire me with the little things they do to minister to others.  Whether it's sending birthday cards to people in the church each year, praying faithfully for others, or the general testimony of their marriages and families, they inspire me to keep on keeping on. :)

39.  If you could earn minimum wage doing what you love, would you?  
     Definitely.

40.  Describe the last time you were very angry at someone.
     Um, that would be Oldest Gal when she pulled some 'tude. ;)  I still love her lots, though.

41.  Where would you prefer to live?  A city?  The suburbs?  The countryside?  The mountains?
     Either near the ocean (see Question 7) or in a relatively small town...big enough for shopping malls but small enough to be without smog. :)

42.  Where is "home" for you?
    My hometown is very special to me because I've lived there all my life.  But "home" is really where my family is.

43.  Where do you and your friends go to hang out?
    I don't have much time for "hanging out" these days, and two of my closest friends live hours away.  One of my friends that remains in town and I enjoy seeing movies together, when our schedules allow.  Another friend and I just hang out at each other's houses with our kiddos.

44.  Have you ever been bullied?  Have you ever bullied anyone else?
    I was bullied a bit in elementary school, but nothing terribly serious.  As far as I know, I've never bullied anyone else, although I could be a bit manipulative as a kid when there was something I wanted.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but I can remember talking a classmate out of her fuzzy unicorn pencil topper just because it was my birthday. :(  I was in second grade.  I've always wanted to apologize to her for that.

45.  Is it possible for guys and girls to be just friends?
     Definitely, but I think that it's wise to enter such friendships with caution and make sure you're not being too exclusive.  Keep the lines of communication open, too.  Emotions are tricky things, and friendships like that can turn awkward if you're not both on the same page.

46.  What are the 6 songs you listen to the most?
      This is really a toughie because I listen to music CONSTANTLY.  Here are a few of my faves, though:
      1. "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" by Fernando Ortega
      2.  "In Christ Alone"...no particular artist
      3.  "Non ti Scordar di Me" by Russell Watson
      4.  "One Fine Day" by Hayley Westenra
      5.  "The Flower Duet" by Charlotte Church
      6.  "Comme Facette Mammeta" by Mario Frangoulis
      I also have a Bollywood playlist on Rhapsody.com that I listen to when I clean the house. :)
   

47.  If you could meet anyone on earth, who would it be?
     This is a tough one!  I would enjoy meeting Ravi Zacharias, Janet Parshall, or Shaunti Feldhahn.  I'm sure there are others that I'm just not thinking of right now.  And it would be kind of fun to meet Shahrukh Khan, although actors are usually a disappointment in real life because they're not anything like the characters they play. ;)

48.  What is your favorite blog currently?
     There's no way I could choose just one.  A few I really enjoy are Of Trims and Furls and Furbelows by Alexandra, Day by Day by Natasha Marie (although I felt quite lost in the midst of Dr. Who week!), ;) Accordion to Kellie by Kellie, Deja View by Andreas Deja (yup, the Disney animator!), The Doll Wardrobe by Nora and Maple, The Day Dream by several of you, Bonkland by "Room for More", My Froggy Stuff by My Froggy Stuff...and a ton of others.  If I could mention you all, I would...but it would seriously take up the entire post! ;)  Just know that if I'm following you, I'm enjoying your blog. :)

49.  What's the farthest you've ever been from home?
     Washington, D.C. for a trip my senior year of high school.

50.  What's the one thing you're afraid of?  
     I have several fears (I can just hear my family laughing at the understated "several"), most of which are completely irrational.  I can't think of many specifics that come to mind, but one is scary movies of any kind...even moderately scary movies.  My imagination is waaaayyyy too vivid to watch those sorts of things.

Whew, I made it!!  That's a lot of questions! ;)

I think this tag has been around for a while, and I'm feeling a bit too lazy to officially tag others, so if you're reading this and you're interested in doing your own post, consider yourself officially tagged! ;)
  

No comments: